Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Healthy Living: Clever Ways to Boost Yourself Out of Depression With Self-Expression

As a depression-diagnosed individual, I know that keeping your thoughts positive can be very difficult.

Feeling down? I've got a few creative ways to lift yourself out of general sadness, depression, or even obsessive, negative thoughts that come with personality disorders. Soak it in.




Clever idea #1: Thanking the people you love will make a difference. Let's start with your parents (or the people who treated you like their own).

These are my examples of this exercise:

Brad,
Thank you for stepping up when you didn't have to. Thank you for the memories and the fun stories and childhood "myths." You are the best father any girl (who potentially had none) could've asked for when her biological dad abandoned her. Think about my life without you. Think about how you could have never walked into my life. I potentially had no father figure. I could've chosen some loser to be with, and hey, I almost did a few times. But you were the difference. You made my life great. I thank you for being a role model to me. Because of you I know how to choose someone to spend my life with. Because of you I know how a man should treat a woman. Thank you. You gave me the gift of love and knowledge.
I love you.
Anna

Mom,
You are absolutely wonderful. For your entire life you've had to work so hard to provide for me, and I thank you for that. Your life may not have felt affluent or privileged, but ours sure were. We are rich in love and memories. Some have only money. We have MUCH more. Me and Kate love you unconditionally for all of your hard work and care. We could absolutely not have asked for a better mother. I appreciate everything you do for me. I appreciate even your over-protectiveness. You've sculpted me into a much better person than I was and could have potentially been. Thank you, mom. You have taught me so much and I appreciate every bit of knowledge. Your care and motherly love has been passed on to me, and I thank you so much for that.
I love you.
Anna

Out of money for Mother's Day/Father's Day? Write them something and put it in a homemade card. They'll appreciate it more than anything money can buy.

Clever idea #2: Write yourself a letter this time! From Positive Patty to Negative Nancy.

Tell yourself that you deserve love and happiness. Tell yourself each reason why you are special, original, and amazing.

This is my example of this exercise:

Sad Anna,
You always seem to focus on your mistakes. your emotions (or the back of your brain), and your wrongdoings. Your sadness and negativity affects you greatly, almost greater than happiness, and we need to change that together. From now on, please listen to me when you're feeling blue, your happy, rational self cares about you. You are a wonderful person. You care about people truly. You have so much empathy, and your hugest dream would be to help others through injustice, especially your loved-ones. You are motherly, you are caring, and you tolerate others without an ounce of judgment whatsoever. You know and understand the struggle, for you face it every day. But despite your struggles, you understand and accept that others go through worse, each day as we speak of our sadness. Remember empathy. Focus on the words loved-ones have told you that were tears-of-joy-worthy compliments. The negative words are not to be focused on or even remembered. Remember what Tyler Oakley said about you? (He shouted me out in a livechat, told me to accomplish my dreams and even though I was bullied, I was courageous and strong and he was proud of me. Perfect inspirational person to shout me out, right? It made my heart so warm.) Remember what Cody said when he needed help? He told you that you were his inspiration, and that is all you'll ever need is to know that you helped someone who was struggling. Remember what your family told you? All the good words and warm hearts? Remember when the prettiest girl in school told you that you were gorgeous and she was proud that you published a book at your age? Remember what Derek said about you and continues to say about you every day? You're beautiful, you mean so much to me, and you changed my life.
I really love you!
Happy Anna

Clever idea #3: Keep your ultimate goal in life in mind. Write tips to yourself on how to keep positive. It seems cheesy, but it may actually work for you. Keep these thoughts closeby. Write them on a whiteboard or attach them to your fridge. Put them on your mirror that you look at every day, just to be sure you're remembering what really matters in life.

This is my example of this activity:

My ultimate goal in life is to be happy. I know it sounds cliche, but it's truly what I want. I want to be with Derek forever, too. I also want to have a baby, someday. But the real, ultimate goal is to be happy and keep my loved-ones close. That's all I need.
I want to always spend my time and money on things or activities that make me and my family happy. I want to spend my life where it matters. Do this for you, not to please someone else. Especially not someone who doesn't care.
Look in the mirror at that beautiful, sexy girl every day! Tell her she's great. She will succeed. She deserves true happiness.
Forgive yourself.
Let it go if it hurts.
Let yourself be deserving of delicacies and simple, happy, and true love.

Remember to eat well, it is keeping your mind at ease.
Remember to take a vacation, no matter your backyard or Cancun, it'll bring your natural sense of bliss back.
Remember to exercise, it is relieving toxic stress and making your mind and body stronger.
Remember to be happy. This is self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment