Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Healthy Living: Beating "Discouragement"

Discouragement is a big word. Discouragement is a huge reason to stop and give up entirely. You know, I get it. I really do.

I was just turned down for two jobs in one day. That day was today. One of the jobs didn’t even give me an interview. It was at a gas station, and despite my experience, they said I was underqualified. You need experience to get hired.  You need to get hired to gain experience. It’s almost impossible to get started in this world, at least for the under-privileged population.

I am a lower-class community college student trying to fight poverty. I can’t afford a car and need one to commute to work. I’ve taken my driver’s test 7 times and can’t pass it because of my anxiety. You know, it truly feels like the perfect time to give up. Whether giving up is welfare, continuing to live with your parents, or suicide, I advise you to keep going. Do not give up. There are beautiful and successful times ahead that you will absolutely not want to miss.

I’m a writer. Maybe someday I’ll publish a bestseller. Maybe someday I’ll get a job at a magazine. I could be a journalist, a lawyer, even a college graduate. How could I miss grabbing that diploma? How could I throw away all of my hard work?

Think about it. If your life was destined for nothing at all, why did your parents put you in school when you were five? Why did they raise you, and why did they dream of your success as a person? Why did they dream of their daughter or son being so much more (or just as) successful as them? Because they love you. They want you to succeed. There is hardly anyone in this world that doesn’t want to see you succeed.

Giving up is easy, but is giving up worth it? Not in my case.

Giving up is going to affect your life much more than you may assume. Giving up is going to create a domino effect. Commonly, people fall back into their old habits and realize that life has been this way forever, so why change it? Well, there’s many reasons to change it.

1. To prosper, to grow, to excel: You may find your purpose in life. You could be a leader and not even know it because you were too busy giving up. Growth is important. Successful people are constantly growing and improving themselves. Realize that change is good! Change can change your life.
2. To become wealthier in several ways: Change is crucial. Change will make your life different from what it’s always been. You will succeed. You will realize that life is for more than just sitting on the couch. You will create memories, possibly money, maybe even a family.
3. To dream, to determine, to inspire: Change your life, if not for yourself, for the sake of others. Show others that giving up is not going to make you successful. You need to suck at whatever you’re doing for such a long time that you, someday, become great. Fail a thousand times, and you’re bound to succeed soon. This is because you’re growing. Failing equals growing, learning, and eventually, succeeding.

It may not be easy. Okay, it’s really not going to be easy. But will it be worth it? FOR SURE. I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment