Let’s start with a few things I brought and never used:
- leopard stilettos
- other assorted 6-inch heels
- unnecessary bath supplies (my dorm had just a shower)
- crock pot (most schools don't allow them anyways, and I never used mine)
- short skirts and crop tops (you think you're gonna lose weight or have time to put together cute outfits? HAHA. Bring enough yoga pants and sweats to last you a month!)
- your entire makeup collection (the basics are fine)
As far as the things I did use, or wish I would have brought?
- A coffee maker I didn’t bring one, but I wished I would’ve. A Keurig is especially useful. There are many different uses for a coffee maker in a dorm, especially since most dorms don’t allow crock pots for melting queso for your party. Brewing coffee in the morning will also help wake you up for class, and it smells great!
- A yoga mat and exercise equipment Being a health freak and all, I realized that there was no way I could walk to campus every single day to go to the gym (the walk is unreasonable from dorms to campus at my school). Having equipment on hand and in your room will help motivate you. Although, I suggest you pack simple weights and a mat since bulky blow-up exercise balls take up tons of room in a tiny space.
- Blankets galore! I brought six blankets to college with me because I couldn’t choose one design. I actually ended up using some of them for décor, hanging them around the room can look really chic and cute. Make sure to bring two sets of sheets (to wash in intervals) and a heavy blanket for chilly nights, picnics, or other outdoor activities like football games.
- Décor I don’t know about you, but I crafted my way through freshman year. I decorated my dorm so much that there was hardly any space for organization. My number one tip for decorations is that they double as organizational elements.
- Lamp/Lighting Source I absolutely hated the overhead lighting in my dorm last year, so I bought a desk lamp to bring a soothing lowlight to the room. Too bright is never comfortable.
- Mini Fridge/Microwave For storing food!! The cafeteria isn’t always a healthy choice, nor is it always tasty. Having your own snacks on hand can be really helpful on days when the cafeteria is having Chinese.
- TV/Laptop Trust me, a small dorm is boring if you’re constantly sitting and staring at the same four walls in your down time. Most dorms offer free cable, or buy Netflix to satisfy your late-night movie or TV show cravings.
- Laundry basket or bag that is easy to transport Trust me, laundry is a huge part of college life. Whether you’re doing laundry in your dorm building or bringing it home on the weekends, I suggest you buy an easy-to-carry hamper that won’t tear or fall apart. My first hamper was made of mesh and it tore right away, so I was forced to buy a plastic hamper instead. Keep laundry in mind when you’re shopping for freshman year.
- Fan If your dorm doesn’t have air conditioning, especially. You will be using it.
- Shower shoes Remember, you don’t want to catch athlete’s foot. Wearing flip flops to the shower is sanitary and safe. I know I went barefoot a few times, but I was lucky and got out of the shower free of charge or nasty fungal disease.
- Shower caddy If you’re in a dorm room where you share the shower with many others, it’s important to keep your things in a caddy. It’s easy, versatile, and prevents clutter.
- Clothes to bring: a few pairs of jeans, a few workout outfits, a few pairs of leggings or yoga pants, a couple pairs of sweats, several of your favorite shirts that are able to be layered, two cardigans, two hoodies, one nice outfit for parties or events, a bathing suit, a jacket for seasonal weather.
- Shoes to bring: tennis shoes that support you, one pair of nice shoes for events, flip flops for warmer months and the shower, and cute sneakers.
- Meds! Remember to bring cold medicine, Tylenol, a first-aid kit, band-aids, etc. Be prepared for anything! You’ll thank me when you catch the flu.
- Command Hooks These are perfect for hanging things without ruining the wall. My freshman year, I brought tacks and stuck them into the walls. Luckily they didn’t notice or fine me, but command hooks are much better for a clean, safe way to hang decorations.
- Mattress Pad Remember, those lumpy mattresses may not be the comfiest. Mattress pads make a huge difference!
Keep in mind, this is not all that you should be bringing. Remember hygiene products, sheets, your beloved blankie...anything you think you'll need! College is going to be a blast. It's almost impossible to go in without any anxiety, but remember that your freshman year is going to be great. It's brand new and fun! Kiss your time-outs and temper tantrums goodbye! You're growing up, kid, and it's not as scary as it seems.

No comments:
Post a Comment